Baked Alaskan Cod with Strawberry Salsa
This baked cod’s simplicity allows for the sweet and spicy strawberry salsa to showcase its irresistible flavors. It’s also packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients beneficial for brain health, especially among people with diabetes.1,2 Those with diabetes often have higher oxidative stress levels, which can accelerate the rate of age-related cognitive decline, making this antioxidant-packed recipe a must-have!2 Ready in minutes, this soon to be family favorite can be cooked in a cast-iron pan or grilled on the barbecue.
Makes 2 servings
Serving size: 6 oz filet
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 minutes
Ingredients for strawberry salsa
- ½ cup red onion
- 8 large strawberries
- 1 tbsp Anaheim spicy pepper or other pepper with mild spice chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of half one medium lime
Ingredients for baked cod
- 2 cod fillets (6 oz each)
- 2 tbsp healthy butter substitute
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Directions for baked Alaskan cod with strawberry salsa
- Chop and soak red onions in ice-cold water to remove bitterness, around 10 minutes, then drain.
- Dice strawberries.
- Mince Anaheim pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine strawberries, red onions, Anaheim pepper, salt, and ground pepper with lime juice. Mix until fully incorporated.
- In a buttered cast iron pan, cook the cod over medium heat, approximately 2-3 minutes on each side. Add salt and pepper.
- Save the liquid from the pan, to pour over the fish once plated.
- Top with strawberry salsa and serve with lime wedges to squeeze over fish.
- calories: 283
- carbohydrate: 13g
- fat: 11g
- fiber: 3g
- potassium: 807mg
- protein: 32g
- saturated fat: 9g
- sodium: 1400mg
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
How long have you been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes?