The Best Whole Grains for Type 2 Diabetes
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Type2Diabetes.com team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Definition of Whole Grains. Whole Grains Council website. http://wholegrainscouncil.org/whole-grains-101/definition-of-whole-grains
- Karl JP, Saltzman E. The Role of Whole Grains in Body Weight Regulation. American Society for Nutrition. 2012; Adv Nutr. 3: 697-707.
- Okarter N, Liu RH. Health Benefits of Whole Grain Phytochemicals. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 2010; 50:193-208 (2010).
- Cho SS, Qi L, Fahey GC, Klurfeld DM. Consumption of cereal fiber, mixtures of whole grains and bran, and whole grains and risk reduction in type 2 diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98:594–619.
- American Chemical Society (ACS). "Popcorn: The snack with even higher antioxidants levels than fruits and vegetables." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 25 March 2012. www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/03/120325173008.htm
- Bahadoran Z, Mirmiran P, Azizi F. Dietary polyphenols as potential nutraceuticals in management of diabetes: a review. Journal of Diabetes & Metabolic Disorders. 2013; 12:43.
- Smith CE, Tucker KL. Health beneﬁts of cereal ﬁbre: a review of clinical trials. Nutrition Research Reviews. 2011; 24, 118–131.
- Khoury DE, Cuda C, Luhovyy BL, Anderson GH. Beta Glucan: Health Benefits in Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome. J Nutr Metab. 2012;1-28.