Fiber Rich Snack Ideas
Dietary fiber is found in plant foods and is a non-digestible type of carbohydrate. Fiber has many health benefits, however, most people fall short of meeting the recommended daily fiber intake of 25-30 grams per day. Fiber is found naturally in foods such as whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables.
Fiber has received “brownie points” over the years for it’s various health benefits:
Fiber can be found on the nutrition label right below the total carbohydrates. Foods with 2.5 grams of fiber per serving are considered to be a good source of fiber while foods with 5 grams of fiber or more per serving are considered high fiber. If a food has more than 5 grams of fiber per serving you can subtract half that amount from the total carbohydrate amount.
Are you looking for new ways to add more fiber to your current diet? Check out the following snack ideas for some inspiration.
These snack ideas all have at least 3 grams of fiber per serving and 150 calories or less per serving:
- ¾ cup blackberries with ½ cup 2% fat cottage cheese (138 calories, 16 grams carbohydrate, 6 grams fiber)
- ½ Thomas Light Multi-Grain English muffin with 1 tablespoon Sunflower seed butter (149 calories, 17 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fiber)
- 1 cup unshelled edamame (130 calories, 10 grams carbohydrate and 6 grams fiber)
- 10 medium size baby carrots with 2 tablespoons hummus (85 calories, 13 grams carbohydrate 5 grams fiber)
- 1 small apple with skin. Core apple and sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon. Bake in oven at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes. (77 calories, 21 grams of carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber)
- 3 cups air-popped popcorn with 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. (114 calories, 20 grams carbohydrate and 4 grams of fiber)
- Mix 1.5 tablespoons of ground flax seed into ½ cup of nonfat Greek yogurt (136 calories, 12 grams carbohydrate and 3 grams of fiber)
- ½ cup whole roasted pumpkin seeds (143 calories, 17 grams carbohydrate and 6 grams of fiber)
- ¼ cup of Original Fiber One cereal mixed with ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt. Top with 4 sliced medium size strawberries. (125 calories, 26 grams carbohydrate and 8 grams of fiber)
- 15 Kashi Original 7 Grain crackers with 1 oz turkey breast lunch meat (150 calories, 19 grams carbohydrate and 3 grams of fiber)
- 1 small pear with 1 mini Babybel light cheese (134 calories, 23 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fiber)
- 20 roasted almonds (bake in oven at 350 for approximately 10 minutes) (139 calories, 5 grams carbohydrate, 3 grams fiber)
- 5 cups raw cauliflower, cover evenly with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Roast in oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Eat like popcorn! (117 calories, 8 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber)
- 5 tablespoons almond butter spread on 1 small stalk of celery (150 calories, 5 grams carbohydrate, and 3 grams fiber)
- 4 dried plums with 1 stick of Sargento Light string cheese (141 calories, 25 grams of carbohydrate and 3 grams of fiber)
Have you experienced any foot complications from diabetes?