Turkey Mushroom Lasagna with Roasted Peppers
Last updated: March 2021
A healthy spin on an Italian classic! Each decadent lasagna layer has tons of hearty mushrooms and vibrant peppers for an added colorful flavor-filled nutrition boost. Mushrooms are a low-glycemic, antioxidant-rich ingredient that aids with blood sugar control, digestive health, and brain health.1 Plus, red peppers have loads of vitamin C! Let’s also not forget about the ooey-gooey, irresistible cheese, which adds healthful protein, calcium—and a delicious taste, of course! Impress even the toughest critics with this easy-to-make, and then ready-to-bake meal. It’s the perfect blend of tradition and nutrition.
Makes 16 servings
Serving Size: 1 square slice
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Ingredients for turkey mushroom lasagna
- 2 red, yellow or orange bell peppers
- 24 oz baby Bella (cremini) mushroom
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 5 cups marinara (set one cup aside for top layer)
- 14 no-boil lasagna noodles (semolina or whole grain)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
Directions turkey mushroom lasagna
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and slice peppers. On a baking sheet, drizzle the peppers with some olive oil and bake for 15-20 minutes, or noticeably charred.
- Mince mushrooms into fine pieces or chop by pulsing in the food processor.
- In a large pan, add olive oil, ground turkey, and garlic powder. Continue to cook until brown.
- Once ground turkey is fully cooked, add in the mushrooms and balsamic vinegar. Cook for an additional 4 minutes. Mix ingredients until fully incorporated.
- On a baking tray, pour and evenly spread out 1 cup of marinara sauce.
- Cover marinara sauce with 4-5 lasagna noodles.
- Top with 1 cup of meat sauce, 1/4 cup Parmesan and roasted bell pepper slices.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 until fully assembled.
- Top lasagna with marinara sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan. Bake in the oven at 350 for 30-40 minutes.
Tip: Wrap with foil so the cheese doesn’t burn and for the last 5 minutes take off the foil to let the cheese become golden brown.
- calories: 222
- carbohydrate: 21.5g
- fat: 8g
- fiber: 2.5g
- potassium: 615mg
- protein: 16g
- saturated fat: 2.5g
- sodium: 627mg
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you find it difficult to "eat right" and stick to a nutrition plan?