Split Pea Soup with Ham
Ingredients for split pea soup with ham
- 6 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup lean ham, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
Directions for split pea soup with ham
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat combine all ingredients and bring to a gentle boil. Cover pot with lid slightly tilted and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer on low-heat for 45-60 minutes or until peas are tender. Remove bay leaf and serve hot.
Fiber Facts: Split peas are a high fiber food. When a food has at least 5 grams of fiber per serving you can subtract the grams of fiber from the total carbohydrate number, which for this recipe would give 31.3 grams net carbohydrate.
Serves 6 (about 1 1/3 cups each)
- calories: 316
- calories from fat: 14
- cholesterol: 10mg
- dietary fiber: 21.6g
- potassium: 1033mg
- protein: 24.7g
- sodium: 563mg
- sugars: 8.0g
- total carbohydrates: 52.7g (net carbs: 31.1g)
- total fat: 1.5g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Have you experienced any foot complications from diabetes?