Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
I was pretty excited that my son was coming home for the weekend from school. My husband had worked hard all week and I wanted to make a side dish to go along with the rest of the meal I planned. Who doesn’t like mac-n-cheese as a side dish? This side dish turned out so well and received a lot of compliments. This is a rich-tasting dish but not too heavy. If you have time, you can make it during the week but I suggest making this as part of one of your weekend meals. It goes really well with baked chicken and steamed broccoli.
Makes 10 servings
Serving size: ½ cup of macaroni
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 40-45 min
Ingredients for homemade macaroni and cheese
- 1 box Barilla cut macaroni, cooked
- ⅔ can of condensed Campbell’s Tomato Soup
- ½ cup milk, 1%
- ¼ tsp original Mrs. Dash
- 1 tbsp onion, frozen
- 1 tbsp sweet red pepper, frozen
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions for homemade macaroni and cheese
- Boil the whole box of macaroni according to package directions.
- Combine tomato soup, milk and Mrs. Dash together by whisking. Set aside.
- Drain macaroni. Rinse.
- Add soup mixture to macaroni. Mix well.
- Add onion and peppers. Fold until well mixed.
- Place half of the macaroni into a large casserole dish. Spread evenly.
- Add half of the two cheeses. Spread evenly.
- Repeat with the rest of the macaroni and the cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40-45 min until mixture is hot.
- Serve with your favorite meat and vegetable.
- calories: 253
- carbohydrate: 38g
- cholesterol: 15g
- fat: 5g
- fiber: 2g
- potassium: 248mg
- protein: 13g
- saturated fat: 2.5g
- sodium: 229mg
- sugar: 4g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Have you experienced any foot complications from diabetes?