Spicy Chipotle Turkey Burgers
Last updated: March 2023
Sometimes eating healthier versions of your favorites can feel like a sacrifice on taste. That won't be the case with this spicy chipotle turkey burger. Garlic, fennel, and smoked paprika give it flavor, while red pepper flakes add a bit of heat.
Lean meats, like turkey, tend to be a more heart-healthy option due to a lower amount of fat compared to beef. And protecting your heart health is important in diabetes, given heart disease is the number one complication of diabetes. As an added bonus, it tends to be cheaper than beef as well! Enjoy this burger on the grill for an extra smokey flavor!
Makes 4 servings
Serving size: 1 burger
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for spicy chipotle turkey burgers
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 tsp fennel, crushed
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ large red onion, julienned
- 1 large red or orange pepper, julienned
- 1 package of thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1 package slider buns
- 4 tbsp chipotle mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Directions for spicy chipotle turkey burgers
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet to medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers. Cook until slightly browned and soft. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet.
- In a large bowl, mix together turkey, fennel, garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Form the turkey into 4 patties and add to the hot skillet or grill.
- Cook until fully cooked through, about 8 minutes on each side or until internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once done, place burgers on a slider bun, top with cheese, peppers, and onions, and 1 tablespoon of chipotle mayonnaise.
Scroll down to see the nutrition facts for this recipe!
- calories: 340
- carbohydrate: 22g
- cholesterol: 105mg
- fat: 19g
- fiber: 3g
- potassium: 105mg
- protein: 27g
- sodium: 265mg
- sugar: 5g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
How often do you find yourself craving sweet snacks?