The Real Scoop on Cholesterol
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Type2Diabetes.com team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- Chowdhury R, Warnakula S, Kunutsor S, Crowe F, Ward HA, Johnson L, et al. Association of Dietary, Circulating, and Supplement Fatty Acids With Coronary Risk: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2014;160:398-406.
- Appel LJ, Sachs FM, Carey VJ et al. Effects of protein, monounsaturated fat, and carbohydrate intake on blood pressure and serum lipids: results of the Omni Heart randomized trial. JAMA. 2005; 294, 2455–2464.
- Siri-Tarino PW, Sun Q, Hu FB, Krauss RM. Saturated fatty acids and risk of coronary heart disease: modulation by replacement nutrients. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2010;12:384-90.
- Katcher HI, et al. “Lifestyle approaches and dietary strategies to lower LDL-cholesterol and triglycerides and raise HDL-cholesterol,” Endocrinology Metabolism Clinics North America. 2009; 45–78.
- Mozaffarian D, et al. “Trans fatty acids and cardiovascular disease,” New England Journal of Medicine. 2006; 345:1601–1603.
- Ascherio A, et al. “Trans fatty acids and coronary heart disease,” New England Journal of Medicine 340, no. 25 (1999): 1994–1998.