caret icon Back to all discussions

Diagnosed Feb 2021

Hi all! My doctor has been watching my glucose levels since last year. Since being diagnosed with Cirrhosis in Oct '19, my glucose has been creeping up. It had been in the mid 130s fasting but in Dec '19 and last month it was in the low 180s. ACK! Also, my A1C was 5.5 last January and in Feb it was 8. Not good.

After my blood work in Feb, my doc prescribed Lantus 10 units at night. That lasted about a week and she bumped it to 15 units. I've been testing my b/s at least twice a day and the lowest it's been since I started testing was just a couple of days ago when it was 109 fasting.

Technically, my doctor has never SAID I was diabetic but since she prescribed me insulin I don't think she really needs to. LOL! I have a follow up appointment with her on the 30th of this month so I'm sure I'll learn all sorts of stuff. In the meantime, I've been reading a lot. Mostly trying to figure out what I can eat!

With my liver disease, I'm on a high protein, low salt diet, which sounds fine for a diabetic diet, too. However, I am supposed to eat carbs for energy. Protein and carbs help curb muscle wasting in cirrhosis patients. For instance, I'm supposed to eat a bedtime snack of protein plus at least 30 grams of carbs. That doesn't really fit into the diabetic diet (from what little I know about it). Add to that, my hepatologist wants me to get my BMI up to 20. Right now it's just under 16 so I have some pounds to pack on. Not sure how to do that with no carbs or sweets. Even eating everything under the sun, I couldn't get it quite to 19.

I'll probably be spending a lot of time in the recipe/nutrition are of the forum as well as just reading in the other areas, too.

Thanks for listening/reading!

1. I agree with the comments above. The more healthcare professionals that help you, the better.

Please read our rules before posting.