Zucchini Fire Roasted Tomato Soup
Last updated: August 2021
Slurp your way to mealtime satisfaction with this savory and soup-er nutritious meal! Its hearty vegetables and aromatic herbs will leave you salivating for a bowl of wholesome goodness. This dish is abundant in feel-full fiber that will fuel the body with sustained energy and aid with postprandial blood glucose control. Not to mention, the satiating effect of broth soups can aid to reduce overall caloric consumption at mealtime, which may contribute to weight management.1 Not a kale fan, just double the zucchini and it’s just as delicious.
To take this soup from a side dish to a meal add in cannellini beans. Then top with any or all of these flavorful accents: roasted cashews, chili flavored pistachios, parmesan cheese, cottage cheese or sour cream, and an herb spice blend, like Ms. Dash or Trader Joe’s 21 Salute. Take the stress out of meal preparation and make a large batch of soup to enjoy throughout the week.
Makes: 10 cups
Serving size: 2 cups
Prep time: 15 minutes (with a food processor)
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for zucchini fire roasted tomato soup
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 yellow Italian squash or zucchini
- 1 bunch of flat kale like lacinato
- 28 oz fire-roasted canned tomatoes
- 32 oz of low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste once cooked
Directions for zucchini fire roasted tomato soup
- In the food processor add in garlic and olive oil, select chop.
- Cut onion into 4 parts, put in a food processor, and pulse until chopped.
- Scoop out and place garlic and onion in the pot, cook for 3 minutes over low heat, add extra olive oil if needed.
- While onion and garlic cooking, wash and break Kale bunch into two parts, place in a food processor, and pulse until chopped. Then add to the pot.
- Using food processor shred attachment, shred 3 yellow squash in a food processor or hand grate. Then add to the pot.
- Pour in canned tomatoes and broth and mix.
- Add in chopped basil, oregano, and cumin.
- Bring to a boil, then cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until kale soft.
- Serve with optional toppings as desired.
- calories: 144
- carbohydrate: 19g
- fat: 6g
- fiber: 5g
- potassium: 549mg
- protein: 5g
- saturated fat: 1g
- sodium: 500mg
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you chew your food slowly or quickly?
Join the conversation