Zucchini, Squash and Ricotta Pouches
Looking for a new way to enjoy your favorite lasagna dish? This is a great way to get that cheesy taste and texture without the excess carbohydrates. Bonus points - it’s super fun and quick to make!
Interested in low carb alternatives of more comfort foods? Check out this article!
Makes 12 pouches
Serving Size: 3 prepared pouches
- 5-6 medium summer squash and zucchini variety
- 1 15 oz container of part-skim ricotta cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1½ cups spaghetti sauce
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix ricotta and mozzarella in a bowl.
- Slice zucchini and summer squash into thin (1/8 in) pieces. I found that it was easier to do this with a potato peeler than with a knife.
- Place 2-4 slices lengthwise and then widthwise over top of them in the shape of a plus sign.
- Place one large spoonful of cheese mixture in the middle, fold sides over each other and place upside down in baking dish.
- Repeat until cheese mixture, squash and zucchini are gone (should yield approximately 12 pouches).
- Pour spaghetti sauce over top.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- calories: 273
- carbohydrates: 20.25g
- fat: 15g
- fiber: 3.6g
- protein: 18g
- sugar: 6.4g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Has diabetes changed your exercise routine?