White Chicken Chili
Last updated: April 2021
One-pot dinners are such a great way to cook for a family. When they include vegetables, lean protein, and loads of fiber, it’s a win! This is such an easy recipe, and even if you aren’t cooking for a big crowd, it’s good as leftovers or frozen for later! When you are recipe shopping, you may opt to skip beans as they contain carbohydrates. But when you are living with type 2 diabetes, carbohydrates are not eliminated from the diet, instead, we recommend making healthy carbohydrate choices. With loads of fiber and protein, beans fit the bill! Enjoy them in this warm and delicious chili tonight.
Makes 6 servings
Serving size: ~1.5 cups each
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Ingredients for white chicken chili
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 container vegetable broth (32 fl. oz)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
Directions for white chicken chili
- Place onions, peppers, and garlic in a large pot and cook on medium-high heat until fragrant, with onions turning clear. Move to plate.
- In the same pot, add broth and chicken and cook on medium-high heat until chicken is cooked through, approximately 20 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and shred, then add back into the pot with pepper mix.
- Add tomatoes, beans, cumin, and chili powder, stir well and cover, simmering for 20 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Bring heat to low, add cream cheese and continue to cook until the broth is creamy and thickened.
- Serve immediately. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers.
- calories: 264
- carbohydrate: 24g
- fat: 5.3g
- fiber: 7g
- potassium: 839mg
- protein: 30g
- sodium: 609mg
- sugar: 5g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you chew your food slowly or quickly?
Join the conversation