Wheat Bran Buns
Last updated: November 2021
A common misconception with diabetes is that you can't eat bread. However, that’s simply not true! There are many varieties of bread, each offering different nutritional benefits.
Wheat bread can add an important ingredient to your nutrition, fiber! High fiber foods help stabilize glucose levels. In fact, some folks who count carbohydrates for insulin dosing subtract grams of fiber from the total grams of carb they’re eating. However, if you're like me, you might find most store-bought wheat bread dry and not-so-tasty.
This recipe is here to change that. Moist and flavorful, even my kiddos tear into this one. And nothing makes a house smell better than homemade bread that's baking in the oven. Enjoy!
Makes 16 medium rolls
Serving Size: 1 roll
Prep Time: 30-60 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Ingredients for wheat bran buns
- 1 package of quick or rapid rise yeast
- ½ cup of warm water
- ⅓ cup of sugar plus a pinch
- ½ cup of salted butter (1 stick), room temperature
- ½ cup of boiling water
- ½ cup unprocessed wheat bran
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of white all-purpose flour
Directions for wheat bran buns
Making the dough
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, warm water, and a pinch of sugar. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow the yeast to rise.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter, boiling water, sugar, wheat bran, and salt. Allow to cool slightly to lukewarm.
- Beat egg and add to large bowl along with yeast mixture. Mix well.
- Begin stirring in ½ cup of flour at a time, starting with the wheat flour and ending with the white flour.
- Lightly flour hands and knead bread for about 3-5 minutes.
- Place lid or clean towel over bowl. Place in warm area to rise for 30-45 minutes.
Baking the bread
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease 9x13 baking pan.
- Shape dough into rolls. Place back in warm area to rise for additional 15 minutes.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until browned on top.
- Lightly brush rolls with butter or rendered bacon grease to add additional flavor (optional).
- Baked rolls can be frozen after cooled.
- calories: 155.5
- carbohydrates: 22.3g
- cholesterol: 25.4mg
- fat: 6.6g
- fiber: 2.7g
- potassium: 94mg
- protein: 3.7g
- saturated fat: 3.8g
- sodium: 164.6mg
- sugar: 4.3g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you find it difficult to "eat right" and stick to a nutrition plan?