Vegan Taco Salad
One of my favorite dishes at a Mexican restaurant in my hometown is the taco salad. It comes in a large tortilla shell, and I always get black beans as the protein and ask for no cheese (I cannot have dairy). It is loaded with veggies, protein, and flavor, so I decided I wanted to recreate something similar. I left out the tortilla shell in this recipe and used tempeh as the protein. Due to all the flavor in the salad, I don't think it needs an elaborate dressing, so I just do a light drizzle of lime or lemon juice, vinegar, and some salt and pepper.
Makes 1 serving
Ingredients for vegan taco salad
- 2 cups of your favorite salad mix, tightly packed
- 1/4 cup corn, canned, frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup crumbled tempeh or tofu
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 chopped onion
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tomato
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning
- Oil for cooking
- A few sprigs of fresh cilantro
- A few slices of pickled jalapeno
Directions for vegan taco salad
- If using frozen corn, measure out 1/4 cup and let defrost first.
- Chop onion. Heat pan on the stovetop on medium heat. Add a small splash of olive oil or whatever oil you like to cook with to the pan. Add onion to the pan.
- As onion cooks, crumble 1/2 cup of tempeh or tofu. After the onion has cooked for about 3-4 minutes, add tempeh or tofu to the pan. Stir.
- Add sunflower seeds and taco seasoning to the pan. Stir. Taste mixture to determine if the seasoning level is to your liking. If more seasoning is desired, slowly add a bit more, and taste as you go.
- Cook the mixture for a total of around 8 minutes, until the mixture starts to look golden brown and onions are translucent. Take the pan off the stove to cool.
- Assemble salad. Fill a bowl with around 2 cups (tightly packed) of salad greens.
- Chop bell pepper and tomato, add to the salad. Add corn. Add tempeh/tofu, seed, and onion mix on top of salad.
- Cut avocado in half, slice, and add to salad. If a guacamole texture is desired (like what is depicted in the photo), mash avocado in a bowl with lemon/lime juice, salt, and pepper. Add on top of salad.
- If using cilantro, destem, and chop leaves. Add on top. If you like a little kick, I recommend adding the pickled jalapenos!
- If a dressing is desired, I recommend a simple drizzle of citrus juice like lime or lemon, a splash of apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar, and a dash of salt and pepper.
- calories: 422
- carbohydrate: 29g
- cholesterol: 0mg
- fat: 28.9g
- fiber: 9.3g
- protein: 20.7g
- saturated fat: 4.5g
- sodium: 24mg
- sugar: 6g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Has diabetes changed your exercise routine?