Tasty Tofu-Turkey Chili
The best part of chili and this recipe is that it's delicious and easily adjusted to your taste preferences. This tasty chili will be an instant crowd favorite!
It's also the perfect opportunity to use your pantry staples, such as black-eyed peas, navy beans, and pinto beans. Easy-peasy! These protein-packed and fiber-filled legumes also contain healthful nutrients such as B vitamins, iron, and magnesium.1 Magnesium plays an important role in the prevention of insulin resistance. Rest assured that this meal will help you slay the day and keep feelings of fatigue away! Make this dish a day ahead; the more the flavors and spices marinate, the richer the flavor. This meal can last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
One of the best parts about chili is the toppings! Make your tastebuds sing with some crunchy baked corn chips, tangy Greek yogurt (in place of sour cream), and rich avocado. Bonus flavors bring on bonus nutrients! Finally, for those who like to pack the heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes or minced jalapeno to the sauteed veggie mixture. It’s time to chill with homemade chili!
Makes 4 servings
Serving size: 1 ½ cups
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Ingredients for tofu-turkey chili
- ½ pound extra firm tofu
- ½ pound lean ground turkey (93% lean)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1, 28-oz can whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 1, 15-oz can low sodium beans (pinto, navy, or black-eye peas)
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Optional (per serving)
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp vegan sour cream
- 1/4 small avocado
- 1 scallion
- 2 small corn tortillas
Directions for tofu-turkey chili
- Press tofu with paper towels to remove excess water. Crumble and set aside.
- In a large oiled pot over medium heat, add the ground turkey, tofu, and salt. Sauté until turkey is no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the large pot, add the onion, celery, garlic, cumin, chile powder, ground oregano, and salt. Mix until fully incorporated. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the can of tomatoes and pinto beans, along with the tofu and turkey to the veggie mixture.
- Bring to a boil. Then, lower the heat to a simmer. Let simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Break up the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the basil and lime juice. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Serve piping hot with optional toppings.
- calories: 359
- carbohydrate: 36g
- fat: 12g
- fiber: 10g
- potassium: 517mg
- protein: 29g
- saturated fat: 1g
- sodium: 651mg
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you know someone living with kidney cancer?