If your home is like mine, taco night is a favorite and happens once a week! If you are looking for a way to change it up, this taco salad is a great option. Loaded with protein and veggies, you will feel satisfied and proud of your healthy choices. When you are living with type 2 diabetes and monitoring your carbohydrate intake, it can be helpful to set aside your portion sizes for the meal, instead of leaving the bag of chips open on the table.
Makes 4 servings
1 serving = approximately ½ cup meat mixture, 7 chips, ¼ cup shredded cheese, 1 cup baby spinach
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
Ingredients for taco salad
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tbsp cumin
- ½ tbsp paprika
- 7 chips (per person)
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese (per person)
- 1 cup baby spinach (per person)
Directions for taco salad
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place diced onions and peppers in large pan and heat, stirring thoroughly until onions are translucent and fragrant.
- Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Drain.
- Place cheese on chips on a baking sheet and put in oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Add spices to meat and continue to simmer for approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Place spinach in a large bowl, top with meat and chips on the side. Enjoy!
- calories: 536
- carbohydrate: 21.6g
- fat: 33.6g
- fiber: 3.5g
- potassium: 710.5mg
- protein: 38.8g
- sodium: 263mg
- sugar: 2.4g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Has diabetes changed your exercise routine?