Last updated: June 2020
In lieu of eating eggs with sausage links, wrap hard boiled eggs in sausage to create this British breakfast.
Ingredients for scotch eggs
- 1.5 oz. lean turkey breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup rice krispies cereal, crushed
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled
Makes 1 serving
Directions for scotch eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Pour cereal into a plastic bag and use a rolling pin or hands to crush the cereal until it becomes a powder consistency.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil, then add eggs.
- Simmer eggs for 4 minutes, then drain the water and let the eggs cool.
- Using a spoon, scoop out the sausage from its packaging and make two small patties on a cutting board.
- Peel the hard boiled eggs, and place an egg on top of each patty.
- Take additional sausage and cover the hard boiled eggs completely with the sausage.
- Transfer the scotch eggs onto a cookie sheet using a spatula and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the sausage is completely cooked and the top turns brown.
- calories: 259
- cholesterol: 351mg
- potassium: 210mg
- protein: 17.2g
- saturated fat: 5.3g
- sodium: 399mg
- sugars: 1.7g
- total carbohydrates: 9.0g
- total fat: 16.8g
- trans fat: 0.1g
Photograph by Christina Saschin. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Have you tried to decrease the amount of bread you eat since being diagnosed with diabetes?
Join the conversation