Salad Bowl with Chicken and Rice
Salad bowls are all the rage in my area! What’s a salad bowl and how is it different from a regular salad, you ask? It is a movement away from the traditional salad. A traditional salad has no grain. A salad bowl does. My understanding is that the ‘bowl’ concept was drawn from the integration of other cultures. The grain in a bowl can be quinoa, or rice, or whatever other grain you, or the restaurant you frequent, choose. Sitting at my cottage where we have no such restaurant in the area, I decided to make my own. It is a healthy recipe but for some folks, this will be too many carbohydrates at one sitting. It appears, for me, I can handle this much carb in this combination with other foods. I suggest you test your blood sugars before, and 2 hours after, to be sure your body can handle it. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 0 min
Ingredients for salad bowl with chicken and rice
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, washed and shredded
- 3 slices red onion, sliced thinly
- 4 slices cucumber, sliced ¼-½' thick
- 6 strips sweet yellow pepper
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 3 oz cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 oz Tex Mex shredded cheese
- ½ cup long-grain wild rice (I used Minute Rice instant microwave cup, half of it)
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat Ranch salad dressing
Directions for salad bowl with chicken and rice
- Prepare your vegetables.
- Place vegetables in the order listed above in a large bowl.
- Warm the chicken breast in the microwave for 30-45 sec. Place on top of salad.
- Sprinkle with Tex Mex cheese.
- Follow Minute Rice directions, microwaving for 1 min. Stir. Place half the rice in the bowl with your salad; place the other half in the refrigerator for your next bowl.
- Add Ranch dressing.
- Enjoy the feast!
- calories: 376
- carbohydrates: 41g
- cholesterol: 101mg
- fat: 10g
- fiber: 5.5g
- potassium: 1039mg
- protein: 33g
- saturated fat: 3g
- sodium: 427mg
- sugar: 6g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you have high blood pressure?