Last updated: September 2021
I’ve been an edamame fan for a long time (as in well over a decade). Edamame is a bonafide superfood! But it wasn’t until recently that discovered that frozen edamame pods can be roasted in the oven. I always thought boiling, draining, and then seasoning edamame beans/shells were the only way to prepare them - I was wrong!
Try out this delicious recipe that can be enjoyed as a low-carbohydrate snack.
Serving size: ½ cup
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for roasted edamame
- 1 20oz bag of frozen edamame in shell
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp ground black pepper*
- A dusting of sea salt to taste*
*You can add or substitute other herbs and spices.
Directions for roasted edamame
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour one 20 oz bag of frozen edamame in the shell into a mixing bowl and add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, and sea salt.
- Toss in mixing bowl until all the edamame pods are coated nicely.
- Spread the coated shells out evenly on a baking sheet and place baking sheet in the oven.
- Set timer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, stir the mixture.
- Place edamame back into the oven, and cook for an additional 10 minutes until the edges brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Serve on a plate or in a bowl, and pop the beans out of the shell to eat and enjoy!
- calories: 81
- carbohydrate: 4.5g
- fat: 4.7g
- fiber: 2g
- protein: 6.5g
- sodium: 4.7mg
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Have you tried to decrease the amount of bread you eat since being diagnosed with diabetes?
Join the conversation