I’ve been an edamame fan for a long time (as in well over a decade). Edamame is a bonafide superfood! But it wasn’t until recently that discovered that frozen edamame pods can be roasted in the oven. I always thought boiling, draining, and then seasoning edamame beans/shells were the only way to prepare them - I was wrong!
Try out this delicious recipe that can be enjoyed as a low-carbohydrate snack.
Serving size: ½ cup
Makes 6 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for roasted edamame
- 1 20oz bag of frozen edamame in shell
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp ground black pepper*
- A dusting of sea salt to taste*
*You can add or substitute other herbs and spices.
Directions for roasted edamame
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour one 20 oz bag of frozen edamame in the shell into a mixing bowl and add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, and sea salt.
- Toss in mixing bowl until all the edamame pods are coated nicely.
- Spread the coated shells out evenly on a baking sheet and place baking sheet in the oven.
- Set timer for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, stir the mixture.
- Place edamame back into the oven, and cook for an additional 10 minutes until the edges brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Serve on a plate or in a bowl, and pop the beans out of the shell to eat and enjoy!
- calories: 81
- carbohydrate: 4.5g
- fat: 4.7g
- fiber: 2g
- protein: 6.5g
- sodium: 4.7mg
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Did you know that diabetes is a risk factor for developing chronic kidney disease?