Oven Baked Peaches and Cream
Last updated: September 2021
It’s a dessert that steals a "peach" of your heart with every bite! Be prepared to experience a heavenly aroma that fills the kitchen with the nostalgic scent of mama’s peach pie. But, this rendition has a healthier twist that leaves both your tastebuds and tummy satisfied. The secret is in the spices!
The benefits of baking with spices
Cooking or baking with spices is a flavorful way to add an abundance of nutrients to any dish without packing unwanted added sugars. Plus, spices such as cinnamon and nutmeg are abundant in phytonutrients that can combat chronic inflammation and decrease disease risk, important in type 2 diabetes care. Specifically, cinnamon has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity and lessen post-mealtime blood glucose fluctuations.1
Enjoy this recipe topped with creamy Greek yogurt for a guilt-free indulgence to enjoy as a dessert or snack. It’s just peachy!
Makes: 2 servings
Serving Size: ½ peach
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for oven baked peaches and cream
- 1 medium peach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup*
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp maple syrup*
- 2 tbsp walnut pieces
*You can cut maple syrup in half and sprinkle stevia on top of the final baked product.
Directions for oven baked peaches and cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the peach in half and remove the pit.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt. Mix until combined.
- In a glass baking dish, place peach halves cut side up. Fill center with liquid filling, allowing to leak on sides.
- Bake until soft and tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve warm. Top with Greek yogurt, walnuts, and maple syrup drizzle.
- calories: 160
- carbohydrate: 18g
- fat: 8.5g
- fiber: 1.7g
- potassium: 220mg
- protein: 4g
- saturated fat: 1.2g
- sodium: 90mg
- sugar: 7.5g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
How often do you find yourself craving sweet snacks?