My Favorite Shrimp Tortillas
When I first started seeing fish or shrimp tacos on menus, all I could think of was 'yuck!' Fast food or restaurant shrimp tacos? No way. As I thought more about it, I realized it wasn’t the idea of shrimp in tacos that bugged me, it was that it was coming from mainly fast food places. Somehow I just couldn’t feel confident that this was a good idea. Now making them at home...that felt right. My son loves them and asks for them. I can’t eat the five at a time like he eats, but I still enjoy my two. Add a salad, and what a great meal!
Makes 4 servings
Serving size: 2 tortillas
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for shrimp tortillas
- 8 tortilla, flour
- 1 lb small shrimp, “cooked”, frozen
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup guacamole
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup yellow pepper, chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheese
Directions for shrimp tortillas
- Heat the oven to 325 F.
- Wrap tortillas in foil. Put aside.
- Defrost shrimp in cool water. When defrosted, remove tails. Drain shrimp. Place in a medium-sized bowl.
- Pour salsa verde over shrimp. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Prepare lettuce, carrots, pepper, and celery. Place aside, they are the dressings/garnishes for your tortillas.
- Heat oil in a frypan. Place shrimp in oil, throwing out excess salsa verde. Fry until they shrink and are hot.
- Place tortillas in the oven, heat for 5 minutes.
- If there is excess liquid in the frypan with shrimp, drain it.
- Spread guacamole on the tortilla, add cheese, shrimp, and other garnishes.
Optional: Serve with a garden salad. Nutrition Facts do not include the added salad.
- calories: 548
- carbohydrate: 58.9g
- cholesterol: 228mg
- fat: 17.6g
- fiber: 6.4g
- potassium: 926mg
- protein: 40g
- saturated fat: 4.9g
- sodium: 1362mg
- sugar: 7g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Did you know that diabetes is a risk factor for developing chronic kidney disease?