Mashed Cannellini Beans
Last updated: August 2023
Looking for a diabetes-friendly alternative to mashed potatoes? This mashed cannellini beans recipe is a high-protein and lower carbohydrate dish with a good source of fiber. It can be served as a side dish, used as a creamy pasta sauce, a spread on a sandwich, or as a dip.
This is also a great recipe to serve at the next family gathering on Thanksgiving or Christmas! If you're preparing this recipe for more than 2-3 people, multiply the recipe according to your desired number of servings.
Makes ~3 servings
Serving Size: ½ cup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients for mashed cannellini beans
- 1 15-ounce can of low sodium cannellini beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme or ½ tsp of dried thyme
Directions for mashed cannellini beans
- Open the can of cannellini beans and drain out the liquid. Rinse the beans with cold water, drain, and add into a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the beans until they become a smooth consistency.
- If using fresh thyme, chop finely.
- Add all additional ingredients including olive oil, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and thyme to the bowl and combine well with the beans.
- The mashed cannellini beans can be served hot or cold. To serve hot, heat in microwave or over stovetop until warmed, stirring often.
Scroll down to see the nutrition facts for this recipe!
- calories: 211
- carbohydrate: 24g
- cholesterol: 0mg
- fat: 9g
- fiber: 7g
- potassium: 9mg
- protein: 9g
- saturated fat: 1g
- sodium: 785mg
- sugar: 2g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you find it difficult to "eat right" and stick to a nutrition plan?