Loaded Veggie Plant-Protein Tacos
This recipe will make you reconsider Meatless Monday for meatless much more often! These tacos have all the classic flavors of your favorite taqueria, but with its own tasty twist. They have tons of texture, spice, tang, and an irresistible aroma. This satisfying dish is also filled with healthful nutrients to help maintain blood sugar levels and promote digestive health. They are also gluten-free and can easily be adapted for vegans and vegetarians. You can use your favorite low-sodium salsa and adjust the spices to your taste. This recipe has moderate heat. These tacos will be a winning recipe with your household, or at your next dinner.
Makes 2 servings
Serving size: 2 tacos
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-15 minutes
Ingredients for loaded veggie plant-protein tacos
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup chopped red onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 oz baby Bella mushrooms
- 1 tbsp liquid amino acid
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chipotle spice
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1.5 tbsp lime juice
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 4 corn tortilla 4.5”
- 8 tbsp feta per taco (2 tbsp each)
- 1 avocado
Directions for loaded veggie plant-protein tacos
- Wash and finely chop onions.
- In a cast-iron pan on medium-high heat, add olive oil, onions, and minced garlic.
- Slice mushrooms (remote stem if preferred) and add to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add liquid amino acid and balsamic vinegar. Mix until ingredients are fully incorporated.
- In a large bowl, cut tofu into 1-inch cubes. Sprinkle with cumin and chipotle spice. Mix until fully incorporated. Use half the spice than suggested if desired.
- Add tofu to pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
- While tofu is cooking, chop zucchini, and incorporate into the pan. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add lime juice, salsa, and chopped cilantro. Mix ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Serve with oven-toasted corn tortillas and side of fresh avocado.
- Add chopped cherry tomatoes and 2 tbsp feta per taco.
- calories: 703
- carbohydrate: 47g
- fat: 43g
- fiber: 13g
- potassium: 1692mg
- protein: 39g
- saturated fat: 10g
- sodium: 1180mg
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Did you know that diabetes is a risk factor for developing chronic kidney disease?