Loaded Vegetarian Chili
Ingredients for loaded vegetarian chili
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups portobello mushroom caps, stems removed, cubed
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 zucchini, cubed
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 15 oz canned black beans (no added salt), rinsed, drained
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes (no added salt)
- 2 tbsp chipotle chili puree *See note below
- 4 cups water
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Directions for loaded vegetarian chili
- Puree can of chipotles in Adobo sauce as note mentions below
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add olive oil and chopped mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until browned and tender.
- Add in garlic, onion, bell pepper, zucchini, salt, paprika, cumin, ground coriander, cinnamon and Italian seasoning and stir to combine. Cook about 5 minutes more until vegetables are fragrant and tender.
- Add in beans, diced tomatoes, chipotle chili puree, and water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with a garnish of chopped cilantro and a slice of avocado.
*Note: Find a 7 oz can of chipotles in Adobo sauce in the international aisle of the grocery store. Using a handheld stick blender or a blender or a mini food processor, puree all the chilies and liquid in the can into a thick pureed sauce. For this recipe you will use 1-2 tablespoons of the puree (based on the desired level of heat), the remaining puree can be frozen in a plastic resealable bag. Pour puree into the bottom of the bag, label and date the bag. Simply break off a piece of frozen puree for your next recipe.
- calories: 274
- carbohydrate: 34.2g
- cholesterol: 1mg
- fat: 10.7g
- fiber: 12.5g
- potassium: 119mg
- protein: 11g
- saturated fat: 1.4g
- sodium: 415mg
- sugar: 6.4g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you live with any sleep disorders (eg. insomnia, sleep apnea, RLS) in addition to your diabetes?