Loaded Sweet Potato
Last updated: March 2023
I love loading baked potatoes with all the delicious fixings: butter, sour cream, cheese, and more cheese! I created a healthier alternative to a loaded baked potato that my family and I can still enjoy. This loaded sweet potato recipe with ground turkey makes a great lunch or dinner meal. For a more complete meal, add a side salad or some fresh berries for fiber.
Makes 2 servings
Serving Size: 1 loaded sweet potato
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Ingredients for loaded sweet potato
- 2 medium-size sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6 oz. ground turkey or ground chicken
- 1 packet of low-sodium taco seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 tbsp shredded mozzarella
Directions for loaded sweet potato
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and dry sweet potatoes.
- Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork.
- Wrap each sweet potato in aluminum foil.
- Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for approximately 45-60 minutes (until sweet potatoes are soft).
- While the potatoes are baking, in a large skillet, heat olive oil.
- Add in ground turkey (or ground chicken) and cook until browned.
- Pour in taco seasoning and stir together until ground turkey is well coated.
- Add salt to taste to ground turkey.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and slice open (lengthwise with a knife).
- Spread 1 tsp of butter on the inside of each sweet potato.
- Top each sweet potato with ground turkey, avocado, and shredded mozzarella.
Scroll down to see the nutrition facts for this recipe!
- calories: 467
- carbohydrates: 34g
- fat: 27g
- fiber: 10g
- potassium: 992mg
- protein: 27g
- sodium: 533mg
- sugar: 8g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Have you tried to decrease the amount of bread you eat since being diagnosed with diabetes?
Join the conversation