The Best French Bread Recipe
Last updated: January 2023
I got my very first bread machine probably 25 years ago. It was a Westbend. I was so upset when I had to retire it. I did, however, keep the original cookbook that came with it. This is my favorite french bread recipe from that book. It is transferable to other bread machine brands.
Makes 12 servings (12 slices per loaf)
Serving Size: 1 slice
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Ingredients for the best french bread recipe
- 10½ ounces (1¼ cups + 1 tbsp) water, luke-warm
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 1¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 tsp active dry yeast (sometimes called Traditional). Or, 1½ tsp bread machine yeast (sometimes called fast rise yeast)
Directions for the best french bread recipe
- Add the ingredients in the order your bread machine directs you to (it doesn't appear to matter for this recipe). Remember to keep the yeast dry and away from the sugar and salt - the yeast will react with the sugar and salt before you need them to.
- Bake the bread for the desired amount of time. I use the light crust setting.
- Cut and enjoy the bread after it is completely cooled.
Scroll down to see the nutrition facts for this recipe!
- calories: 63
- carbohydrate: 12g
- cholesterol: 1mg
- fat: 0.7g
- fiber: 0.5g
- potassium: 19mg
- protein: 2g
- saturated fat: 0.3g
- sodium: 104mg
- sugar: 0.3g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Have you ever tried semaglutide treatment?