The Best French Bread Recipe
I got my very first bread machine probably 25 years ago. It was a Westbend. I was so upset when I had to retire it. I did, however, keep the original cookbook that came with it. This is my favorite french bread recipe from that book. It is transferable to other bread machine brands.
Not a fan of bread? Interested in alternatives? Check out this article for low carb alternatives for bread and pasta!
Makes 12 servings (12 slices per loaf)
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 3 hrs 45 min (May differ slightly depending on your breadmaker)
Ingredients for the best french bread recipe
- 10½ ounces (1¼ cups + 1 tbsp) water, luke-warm
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 1¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 2 tsp active dry yeast (sometimes called Traditional). Or, 1½ tsp bread machine yeast (sometimes called fast rise yeast)
Directions for the best french bread recipe
- Add the ingredients in the order your bread machine directs you to (it doesn’t appear to matter for this recipe). Remember to keep the yeast dry and away from the sugar and salt - the yeast will react with the sugar and salt before you need them to.
- Bake the bread for the desired amount of time. I use the light crust setting.
- Cut and enjoy the bread after it is completely cooled.
- calories: 63
- carbohydrate: 12g
- cholesterol: 1mg
- fat: 0.7g
- fiber: 0.5g
- potassium: 19mg
- protein: 2g
- saturated fat: 0.3g
- sodium: 104mg
- sugar: 0.3g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original
How stressed out do you feel today?