Donut-Style Apple Slices
I'll start out by saying that these are not a direct replacement for donuts. However, this apple snack certainly takes inspiration from donuts. Donuts are full of sugar and processed ingredients. This recipe eliminates all of that and offers nearly 11 grams of protein. It's a great snack or dessert to make with kids!
Makes 1 serving
Serving Size: ½ apple
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Ingredients for donut-style apple slices
- ½ green apple
- 2 tbsp of cream cheese
- 1 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp sugar-free chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp chopped peanuts
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 4-6 drops of liquid stevia or monk fruit extract
Directions for donut-style apple slices
- Remove core from apple.
- Slice apple into circles, about ¼ inch to ½ inch thick.
- Mix together cream cheese, cacao/cocoa powder, and liquid stevia/monk fruit extract. If the mixture is too thick, add a splash of milk or water.
- Spread the "icing" mixture on top of apple slices.
- Sprinkle toppings on the apple slices.
- calories: 313
- carbohydrate: 24.5g
- cholesterol: 22mg
- fiber: 7.3g
- potassium: 228mg
- protein: 10.9g
- saturated fat: 8.5g
- sodium: 61mg
- sugar: 8.9g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Has diabetes changed your exercise routine?