Last updated: August 2022
Who doesn't enjoy a refreshing coleslaw dish in the summer months? Traditionally, coleslaw is flavored with lots of mayonnaise and sugar. However, this recipe gives coleslaw a delicious twist without all the sugar.
Using avocados as part of the creamy base for the coleslaw adds a healthier benefit than mayonnaise. And the best part? This recipe can come together quickly, especially if you have an immersion blender. Eat this dish by itself or try it topped on fish tacos!
Makes 8 servings
Serving Size: ½ cup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Ingredients for cilantro coleslaw
- 1 12 oz bag of shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup low-fat sour cream or plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 avocados
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, rinsed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1-2 limes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ small red onion
- ½ jalapeno
Directions for cilantro coleslaw
- Peel and deseed avocados.
- Using a blender, blend together the sour cream or Greek yogurt, avocados, cilantro, olive oil, red onion, salt, garlic, and jalapeno.
- Halve the limes and squeeze the lime juice into the mixture. Blend again.
- Taste the mixture to modify salt and heat by adding more salt or jalapeno to taste if preferred.
- Pour the mixture over the shredded cabbage, and mix together with a large spoon until coated.
Scroll down to see the nutrition facts for this recipe!
- calories: 159.8
- carbohydrate: 7.5g
- cholesterol: 2.9mg
- fiber: 4.3g
- potassium: 253.9mg
- protein: 1.9g
- saturated fat: 2.4g
- sodium: 232.4mg
- sugar: 2g
- total fat: 14.3g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you chew your food slowly or quickly?
Join the conversation