Last updated: March 2022
Trying to incorporate more healthy plant foods into your meals? This chickpea salad is a tasty alternative to chicken or tuna, loaded with flavor and has a good amount of healthy fiber. Great over a green salad or on a piece of toast as an open-faced sandwich. Enjoy!
Serving size 1/2 cups
Ingredients for chickpea salad
- 2 (15oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise*)
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1.5 tbsp red wine vinegar
Directions for chickpea salad
- Add drained and rinsed chickpeas to a bowl. Smash using a potato masher or fork until desired texture
- Mix in mayo, mustard, seasonings and veggies and stir to combine
- Serve over a bed of mixed greens
Notes: Try swapping in some vegan egg-free mayonnaise* to make this dish completely plant-based. Vegan mayonnaise can be found on the health-food aisle of most grocery stores. Depending on the variety you choose, this may add 1-2 grams of fat.
- calories: 120
- carbohydrates: 14g
- fat: 6g
- fiber: 3.5g
- potassium: 92mg
- protein: 4g
- sodium: 275mg
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
How often do you find yourself craving sweet snacks?