Chicken and Avocado Honey Mustard Salad
Last updated: September 2021
There are many ways to decrease your risk for heart disease, one of which is switching out red meats for leaner proteins like fish and poultry. In addition, chicken is usually very affordable.
This salad is very simple — you can dress it up by adding extras like mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, and more. As an added bonus, the homemade chicken strips can be made in large batches and frozen for future use!
Makes 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 cups
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for chicken and avocado honey mustard salad
- 1 lb of chicken breasts, trimmed and sliced into strips
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 lemon, squeezed for 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 head of lettuce
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 small red onion, diced
Directions for chicken and avocado honey mustard salad
- Add olive oil to skillet and heat to medium high.
- Meanwhile, in large zip lock bag, add flour, corn meal, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Close and shake to mix. Add chicken strips to bag and shake to coat.
- When skillet is heated, add chicken strips. Cook 10 minutes.
- Turn strips over. Cook an additional 10 minutes or until fully cooked in middle.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing all dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Layer salad, avocado slices, and red onions. Top with 2-3 chicken strips and drizzle with honey mustard dressing.
- calories: 377.9
- carbohydrate: 38.1g
- cholesterol: 11.8mg
- fiber: 9.5g
- potassium: 710.2mg
- protein: 12.7g
- saturated fat: 3g
- sodium: 467.5mg
- sugars: 12.9g
- total fat: 21.2g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
How often do you find yourself craving sweet snacks?