Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
Last updated: January 2022
Tired of the same old casseroles? Try this healthy and delicious option! The great thing about quinoa is that it has all the essential amino acids needed to be considered a full protein. It is the only grain that can brag about this nutritional benefit.
Add in the broccoli and cheese and now you have more fiber and calcium, too! When living with type 2 diabetes you may feel that meat is your only protein option but there are many ways to get protein without eating the same old meats. Enjoy!
Makes 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 ¼ cup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for cheesy broccoli quinoa casserole
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided in half
Directions for cheesy broccoli quinoa casserole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place broccoli on a large baking sheet and roast for 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly browned and tender.
- Meanwhile, place broth and quinoa in a pot and cook according to quinoa package directions, about 15 minutes.
- When broccoli and quinoa are done, mix broccoli into pot. Add ½ cheddar cheese and stir together.
- Place in 13 by 9 baking dish and cover with remaining cheese.
- Decrease oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
- calories: 203
- carbohydrate: 17.25g
- fat: 10.8g
- fiber: 3.85g
- potassium: 101mg
- protein: 10.6g
- sodium: 553mg
- sugar: 2.3g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you find it difficult to "eat right" and stick to a nutrition plan?