Crispy Broccoli and Buttery Noodles
A meal that will "broc" your world! It’s an instant family favorite that is appealing to the tastebuds yet keeps your health goals in check. Broccoli is abundant in sulforaphane, an immune-boosting superhero that can improve the body’s reaction to illness and ward off disease.1
Paired with protein-packed and fiber-filled red lentil pasta, this dish will keep blood glucose levels stable while maintaining a feeling of fullness between meals. Make a large batch to keep the meatless Monday vibes going and reap the benefits of plant-based foods!
Makes: 4 servings
Serving Size: ¼ mixture
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for crispy broccoli and buttery noodles
- 6 cups broccoli
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp Mrs. Dash seasoning (or more if you love herbs)
- 5 cups red lentil fusilli, cooked
- 1 tbsp plant-based butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
Directions for crispy broccoli and buttery noodles
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, cut broccoli into small florets.
- Using a silicone brush, lightly coat broccoli with 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Add 3 tbsp shredded parmesan, Mrs. Dash, salt, and pepper to broccoli mixture. Mix until combined.
- On a baking sheet or glass dish, evenly distribute the broccoli mixture.
- Roast until crispy—approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Then, set aside.
- Cook pasta according to instructions.
- In a small bowl, add melted butter, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp parmesan, and garlic. Mix until fully combined.
- Once cooked, drain pasta and add the butter mixture. Mix until fully combined.
- In a large bowl, combine pasta and broccoli mixture. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Enjoy! For added flavor, top with 2 tbsp caramelized onions.
1. Thejass P, Kuttan G. Immunomodulatory activity of Sulforaphane, a naturally occurring isothiocyanate from broccoli (Brassica oleracea). Phytomedicine. 2007;14(7-8):538-545. doi:10.1016/j.phymed.2006.09.013
- calories: 404
- carbohydrates: 44g
- fat: 15.5g
- fiber: 6.5g
- potassium: 904mg
- protein: 16g
- saturated fat: 4.5g
- sodium: 201mg
- sugar: 1.5g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you use a glucose monitor to check your blood sugars?