Lower-Carb Black Bean Tostadas
Last updated: January 2023
Tostadas are a delicious Tex-Mex dish. But often, traditional tostadas with a fried tortilla are high in carbohydrates and sodium. This lower-carb black bean tostada recipe uses a lot of vegetables, incorporates plant-based proteins, and is low in carbohydrates. This makes it a balanced meal for those with type 2 diabetes!
When choosing a low-carbohydrate tortilla, there are many options available. Choose a brand according to availability and your dietary needs. In this recipe, I used tortillas made with whole wheat. I also used dairy-free sour cream because I prefer that to regular sour cream. The ingredients you choose will make a slight difference in the nutrition facts.
If you scroll down to the nutrition facts, you'll see that this dish will provide over 50 percent of your daily recommended fiber intake. You can make this tostada recipe as a single serving or multiply the recipe to serve others.
Makes 1 serving
Serving Size: 1 tostada
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients for lower-carb black bean tostadas
- 1 low-carb tortilla
- ½ cup shredded lettuce or fresh greens of choice
- ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ fresh avocado
- 1 tbsp fat-free sour cream
- ½ cup black beans
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
Directions for lower-carb black bean tostadas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the tortilla on a baking sheet. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and add a sprinkle of salt. Once the oven is preheated, place the tortilla in the oven. The tortilla will bake for about 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the can of black beans. Measure ½ cup of the beans and pour into a mixing bowl. Add olive oil, salt, and cumin to the beans. Use a fork to mash the beans.
- Remove the tortilla from the oven. Spread the bean mixture over the top of the tortilla and return to the oven for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Chop the tomatoes and lettuce or greens.
- Slice the avocado in half and cut it into slices. Then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove the tostada from the oven.
- Top tostada with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and sour cream. Add hot sauce if desired.
Scroll down to see the nutrition facts for this recipe.
- calories: 250
- carbohydrate: 30g
- cholesterol: 3mg
- fat: 9.6g
- fiber: 15g
- potassium: 335mg
- protein: 9g
- saturated fat: 1.1g
- sodium: 1400mg
- sugar: 4.4g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
How often do you find yourself craving sweet snacks?