Beef and Broccoli With Mushrooms
Sometimes there is nothing more enjoyable than to call in a takeout order from your favorite local restaurant, but eating out can sometimes be challenging for blood sugar management. Making your own meal at home gives you the flexibility to adjust the recipe to fit your dietary needs. You also have the ability to substitute rice or noodle options that restaurants may not offer, such as zucchini noodles or whole wheat rice. Overall, this recipe is a lower-carbohydrate option than eating out and packed with nutritious veggies!
Makes 6 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for beef and broccoli with mushrooms
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp + 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 lb thin sliced skirt steak
- ⅔ cup low sodium soy sauce (has to be low sodium!)
- 4 tbsp honey or brown sugar
- 3 tsp minced ginger
- 1.5 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ cup thinly sliced white onions
- 1 8 oz package sliced mushrooms, rinsed and towel-dried
- 2 stalks of broccoli, rinsed with florets cut from stems
- 1-2 tbsp olive or canola oil
Directions for beef and broccoli with mushrooms
- Prep broccoli (rinse and cut off florets), mushrooms (rinse and towel dry), and onions (slice). Toss together and set aside in a bowl.
- Mix 1 tbsp cornstarch, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar/honey, 1 tbsp garlic, and ginger. Stir and set aside.
- Mix together 2 tbsp cornstarch and 3 tbsp water. Add sliced beef and 3 tsp minced garlic. Stir together and set aside.
- Heat skillet, with oil added, to medium-high heat. Add beef to flash fry until almost done in middle. Remove beef, but leave drippings.
- Add additional oil if needed. Add broccoli, mushrooms, and onions. Cook until broccoli is soft.
- Return beef to skillet. Stir in soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil for a few minutes until the mixture becomes thicker. Stir constantly. Remove from heat.
- Serve over your choice of side rice or noodle, or enjoy as is!
- calories: 286
- carbohydrate: 21g
- cholesterol: 45mg
- fat: 11.7g
- fiber: 2.9g
- potassium: 656mg
- protein: 25.1g
- saturated fat: 3.5g
- sodium: 1040mg
- sugar: 8.5g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
How often do you visit the Type2Diabetes.com community?