Zesty Beans and Greens Burrito
Last updated: July 2023
Add some zest to life with this beans and greens burrito! If you have been longing for a cheesy, hearty meal that also contributes to your health goals, look no further!
This mouth-watering homemade burrito is an excellent source of fiber which can improve overall satiety of the meal. Plus, this filling fiesta will keep blood glucose levels steady between meals, minimizing extreme post-meal blood sugar fluctuations. To lower the carbohydrate content, create a burrito bowl without the tortilla.
Reap the benefits of sustained energy, feelings of fullness, and wholesome nutrition with every bite. This colorful burrito recipe will become an instant favorite, both for your body and your tastebuds!
Makes: 1 serving
Serving Size: 1 burrito
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients for zesty beans and greens burrito
- 1 medium whole-grain tortilla (I used a spinach, sorghum, corn, and brown rice tortilla)
- ¼ cup shredded Brussels sprouts or cabbage
- 1 cup kidney beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp fresh or jar salsa
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 3 tbsp shredded cheese
- ½ avocado
- Juice of half a lime
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp feta cheese
- ¼ cup cooked brown rice
Directions for zesty beans and greens burrito
- Strain and rinse the beans. Move to a small bowl and add cumin and chili seasoning. Mix until fully incorporated. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, chop the avocado. Add lime juice. Gently mix until incorporated. Set aside.
- In a covered, microwave-safe bowl, heat beans, salsa, and chopped cilantro for about 1 minute. Use a silicone bowl cover to avoid any messes in the microwave.
- Then, in a pan on low to medium heat, heat the tortilla for approximately 1 minute. Or, you can place the tortilla in the microwave for about 30 seconds until warm.
- Place the tortilla on a large plate and assemble your burrito. Add the bean mixture, cheese, salsa, cilantro, and avocado. Sprinkle with salt to taste.
Scroll down to see the nutrition facts for this recipe!
- calories: 580
- carbohydrate: 50g
- fat: 30g
- fiber: 24g
- potassium: 1256mg
- protein: 22g
- sodium: 935mg
- sugar: 5g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you find it difficult to "eat right" and stick to a nutrition plan?