Sweet and Savory Medi Meal Plan (1800 - 2000 kcal)
Last updated: June 2023
If you’re like most of us, you’re all about getting the most bang for your buck when it comes to healthy eating; and that means maximum flavor for minimal effort. Here’s a super tasty sample day of meals in the Mediterranean Diet that are guaranteed to deliver both for just 1800-2000 calories.
By taking a quick glance at the dishes below, you can clearly see that healthy eating doesn’t have to mean bland! With so many combinations to mix and match, following a nutritious eating plan is as simple as it is tasty. Remember to read the food labels and make sure you’re purchasing the right ingredients, for example, did you buy pumpkin puree or pumpkin pie mix?
Pumpkin Pie Oats
- 1 cup cooked steel-cut or old-fashioned rolled oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1-2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
- Cook oats based off of package instructions.
- Mix in pumpkin puree, maple syrup, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Top with cinnamon and chopped nuts.
Nutrition facts: Cal:391 Fat:15g Protein:9g Carbohydrates:61g Sodium:15mg Potassium:334mg
SIDE NOTE: freeze leftover pumpkin puree in freezer bags for later use – pumpkin is loaded with Vitamin A to help give you skin that beautiful glow! Pumpkin is delicious with baked apples (cooked in the microwave) and mixed with vanilla yogurt, walnuts and cinnamon.
Tomato Mozzarella Toast
- 1 slice 100% whole grain toast
- 1 oz. low fat mozzarella cheese
- 3 slices of tomato
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Nutrition facts: Cal:307 Fat:10g Protein:10g Carbohydrates:13g Sodium:307mg Potassium:241mg
HOMETOWN HEROES: You gotta love mozzarella, the infamous semi-soft cheese that goes well with just about everything– be it pasta, pizza, chicken, salad, crackers, or straight up by itself! This popular cheese originated in southern Italy but was not initially produced with cow’s milk, but buffalo’s milk. To this day, it is still a mystery as to how the first buffalo found their way to Italy to birth this delicious dairy product! In the Mediterranean diet, mozzarella is often preferred over other cheese varieties due to its low saturated fat content and rich, satisfying flavor.
Hearty Bean Salad
- 3 cups mixed greens
- ¾ cup chickpeas
- ½ cup roasted broccoli florets
- ½ cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds or chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup pitted olives, sliced
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup cooked quinoa or millet
- While cooking quinoa roast broccoli florets in sauté pan.
- Place mixed greens in large bowl.
- Combine balsamic and EVOO in small container.
- Add all ingredients to mixed greens and toss with balsamic and EVOO.
Nutrition facts: Cal:433 Fat:15g Protein:23g Carbohydrates:66g Sodium:570mg Potassium:855mg
SNACK: Add as a side for lunch
- 1 cup frozen nectarines, peaches, or mango, heated in the microwave
- ¾ cup of low-fat plain Greek yogurt
Nutrition facts used with fresh or frozen mango (before heating)
Nutrition Fact: Cal:160 Fat:3g Protein:16g Carbohydrate:18g Sodium:52mg Potassium:351mg
Pasta in a Pinch
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 3 oz. flounder
- 1/8 cup of diced onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ¾ cup whole-wheat pasta or bean pasta
- ¼ cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 cup baby spinach
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- Boil pasta according to box instructions.
- Heat oven to 375 F and place flounder on baking tray with ½ tbsp. EVOO. Cook about 10 minutes or until it appears to have flaky brown coating. For picking the best flounder check out this website: http://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/flounder?q=Flounder.
- Sautee in a pan the other ½ tbsp. Of EVOO with garlic. Then add onion, and bell peppers. Add the spinach last, as it will quick fast.
- Mix Sautee ingredients with pasta in a bowl and add flounder. Top with feta cheese (add sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste).
Nutrition facts: Cal:491 Fat:24g Protein:32g Carbohydrates:39g Sodium:968mg Potassium:1001mg
MEAL PLANNING TIP: If you’re struggling with getting to the store and figuring out what to make, consider occasionally ordering a meal kit delivery. Check out the pros and cons of meal delivery kits to see if it’s right for you.
Coconut Cookie Dough Bites
Ingredients: (freeze the rest so you’re not tempted)
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- Blend dates and cashews in a food processor until you get a sticky dough-like consistency (add a tiny bit of water to make it a bit wetter, if necessary).
- Roll mixture of “dough” into balls.
- Place coconut in a shallow bowl and roll the balls in the coconut until completely covered (if you prefer a topping other than coconut try these: dried cranberries, dark chocolate chips, cocoa powder - you can really have fun with these and make them your own).
*Date sizing can vary, we based our on 66 calories per date. If you find your blood glucose tends to be elevated after 2 servings of carbohydrate at night, choose 1 bite in place of two.
Total serving: 6; Serving size: 2 bites
Nutrition facts: Cal:242 Fat:15g Protein:5g Carbohydrate:27g Sodium:6mg Potassium:345mg
Have you ever tried semaglutide treatment?