How to Choose the Right Fats!
This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Type2Diabetes.com team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.
- The Mediterranean diet: culture, health and science. Donini, Lorenzo M., et al., et al. S2, 2015, British Journal of Nutrition, Vol. 113, pp. S1-S3.
- Healthy Traditional Mediterranean Diet: An Expression of Culture, History, and Lifestyle. Trichopoulou, Antonia and Lagiou, Pagona. 11, s.l. : Wiley Online Library, 1997, Nutrition Reviews, Vol. 55, pp. 383-389.
- Monounsaturated Fats. American Heart Association. [Online] October 7, 2015. [Cited: September 7, 2016.] http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Monounsaturated-Fats_UCM_301460_Article.jsp#.V9BwTjXe0g4.
- United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Services National Nutrient Database. National Nutrient Database Release 28. [Online] United States Department of Agriculture, May 2016. [Cited: September 13, 2016.] https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search.
- Gropper, S. A., Smith, J. L., & Groff, J. L. (2009). Advanced nutrition and human metabolism. Australia: Wadsworth/Cengage Learning.
- Managing Blood Pressure with a Heart-Healthy Diet. http://www.heart.org/heartorg/conditions/highbloodpressure/preventiontreatmentofhighbloodpressure/managing-blood-pressure-with-a-heart-healthy-diet_ucm_301879_article.jsp#.v-k_ozmrje4. Accessed September 20, 2016.
- Bosetti C, Pelucchi C, La Vecchia C. Diet and cancer in Mediterranean countries: carbohydrates and fats. Public Health Nutrition 2009;12(9A):1595-1600. doi:10.1017/S1368980009990425.
- Pandey KB, Rizvi SI. Plant polyphenols as dietary antioxidants in human health and disease. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2009;2(5):270-278.Guo X, Tresserra-Rimbau A, Estruch R, Martínez-González MA, Medina-Remón A, Castañer O, Corella D, SalasSalvadó J, Lamuela-Raventós RM. Effects of Polyphenol, Measured by a Biomarker of Total Polyphenols in Urine, on Cardiovascular Risk Factors After a Long-Term Follow-Up in the PREDIMED Study. Oxid Med Cell Longev. 2016;2016:2572606.
- Estruch, Ramon et al. Effect of a high-fat Mediterranean diet on bodyweight and waist circumference: a prespecified secondary outcomes analysis of the PREDIMED randomised controlled trial. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(16)30085-7
- Baer DJ, Gebauer SK, Novotny JA. Walnuts Consumed by Healthy Adults Provide Less Available Energy than Predicted by the Atwater Factors. Journal of Nutrition. 2015;146(1):9-13. doi:10.3945/jn.115.217372.
- Lang Wu, Zhen Wang, Jingjing Zhu, Angela L. Murad, Larry J. Prokop, and Mohammad H. Murad. Nutrition Reviews Vol. 73(7):409–425, 2016.