Breakfast Power - Pop Quiz
I’m sure you have heard the saying "breakfast is the most important meal of the day." The truth of the matter is that all meals are important in helping to manage blood glucose (sugar) levels. But, breakfast does hold an extra special role in our diet by doing exactly as its name implies-breaking our (overnight) fast. Eating breakfast everyday also allows you to spread your daily carbohydrates over three meals – timing is important in controlling blood glucose levels – and to get started with protein and other important nutrients.
Take this short quiz to see if you know the correct answers to some typical breakfast questions we receive.
- Which type of bacon has the most protein, sodium and fat?
a. Turkey bacon
b. Canadian bacon
c. Pork bacon
- Which breakfast meal contains the fewest calories?
a. Two medium pancakes with ½ cup sliced strawberries
b. One medium muffin made with fruit and nuts
c. ½ cup granola with 1 cup skim milk
- Which type of coffee beverage has the most carbohydrates?
a. Iced Coffee
b. Coffee Frappuccino Light
c. White Chocolate Mocha Frappuccino
- Pork bacon. Pork bacon may contain 11 grams of protein per 1 ounce serving but it also contains the most amounts of fat, calories and sodium than the other types. Increased intake of saturated fat (as found in bacon), calories and sodium can be detrimental to heart health.
- Two medium pancakes with ½ cup sliced strawberries. This breakfast meal contains approximately 180 calories whereas a fruit and nut muffin contains approximately 445 calories and granola with milk contains still more than twice the calories (420 calories) in the pancake meal.
- White chocolate mocha Frappuccino contains a whopping 69 grams of carbohydrate per 16 ounce serving. That is a lot of carbohydrate! The minimum amount of carbohydrate required by the body is 130 grams/day, therefore one White Chocolate Mocha Frappuccino will not leave with you much wiggle room for getting the nutrients you need from other carbohydrate containing foods. Iced Coffee and Coffee Frappuccino Light tie for containing 24 grams of carbohydrate per 16 ounce serving.
Start making a healthy breakfast an important part of your day.
Will you help others by taking our Type 2 Diabetes In America survey?