15 Clever Ways to Eat More Vegetables
Last updated: April 2022
Everyone knows how important it is to eat vegetables. They are nutrient dense, meaning they have lots of vitamins and minerals with few calories, which makes them great for helping to manage weight. They also have healthy fiber that helps keep us full longer and stabilizes blood sugar. But knowing the importance of eating more vegetables is the easy part; actually doing it can sometimes be a little harder. That's why we're sharing our favorite ways to sneak more veggies into meals and snacks.
- Make your own 'ice cream' by pureeing frozen fruits—such as bananas, cherries, blueberries, pineapple, or mango—in a food processor. Blend in bland vegetables whose flavor can be easily masked, like steamed and pureed cauliflower.
- Jazz up store-bought salsa by making it extra chunky salsa. Add chopped red peppers, onions, celery, tomatoes, and carrots.
- Add more color (and nutrition) to your pizza – ask for half the cheese and double the sauce. Also try adding spinach, peppers, olives, tomatoes, onions…go crazy!
- Sneak spinach or kale into a fruit smoothie. Once blended together, the sweetness of the fruits will mask the flavor of the spinach.
- Not a fan of veggies on pizza? Try combining your pizza sauce with pureed butternut squash. It adds a creamy richness.
- Mix carrots, onions, and tomatoes into ground beef before forming it into patties or making meatloaf. The flavors from these veggies will go well with normal burger and meatloaf toppings, so you won't even realize they're there.
- Replace the mayo on your sandwich with a veggie dip instead.
- Julienne summer squash or invest in a spiralizer to make long strips. Quickly blanch them to soften the texture a bit. Sub out half or all of your spaghetti for these tasty veggie noodles.
- Replace your burger bun with a romaine lettuce wrap.
- Make bolognese sauce with 1/2 meat and 1/2 lentils or mushrooms. The lentils and mushrooms have a similar texture and flavor to meat but are superior when it comes to health.
- Love dip? Replace your favorite chips with baby carrots or kale chips.
- Puree steamed carrots, celery, and onions into your pasta sauce. Once smooth, the veggies will blend right in and enhance the flavor!
- Sub out some of the mayonnaise in your chicken, pasta, egg, or tuna salad for steamed and pureed cauliflower.
- Upgrade your salad. Instead of a plain mixed green or Cesar salad, opt for garden salad with lots of veggies.
- Add minced broccoli into your eggs when making an omelet.
The more you eat veggies, the more you will begin to really enjoy them. Sneaking them into the meals you already love is a great way to start to retrain your taste buds. Eventually, you won’t be sneaking them in—you’ll be seeking them out!
How often do you find yourself craving sweet snacks?