Vegetable Stir-Fry with Golden Tofu
A wonderfully flavorful option for a meatless meal with lots of delicious veggies.
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons low-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped for garnish
- 2 cups prepared Jasmine rice (or brown rice)
- Slice the tofu into small rectangles and lay them on 3-4 paper towels and cover with another few paper towels. Press down gently to remove the excess moisture from the tofu.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, mix together the soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil with 1 tablespoon water. Add in the tofu, turning each piece to coat. Let soak for at least 5 minutes and save additional marinade sauce.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, cook tofu pieces 3-5 minutes, until golden, turning once.
- Remove tofu to a plate and keep warm. In the same saute pan add oil, onions, mushrooms, bell pepper and green beans and saute for 5-7 minutes until fragrant and still crisp-tender.
- Add ginger and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- In a small dish whisk together cornstarch with 2 teaspoons cool water until smooth. Stir remaining marinade into cornstarch mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour marinade mixture over vegetables in the pan and cook 1-2 minutes until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Serve hot sauteed vegetables over 1/2 cup of Jasmine rice and top with golden tofu and fresh chopped cilantro.
- calories: 279
- calories from fat: 88
- carbohydrates: 35.6
- cholesterol: 0mg
- dietary fiber: 5.2g
- potassium: 759mg
- protein: 14.5g
- saturated fat: 1.4g
- sodium: 382mg
- sugars: 5.3g
- total fat: 9.7g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you know someone living with kidney cancer?