Hearty, high in fiber and full of delicious smokey flavor, this chili is a healthy vegan option the whole family will love.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled & cubed
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 28 oz No Added Salt crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz can Garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- 15 oz can Black Beans, drained & rinsed
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large soup pot over medium high heat, add in oil, sweet potato, onion, celery and bell pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in chopped zucchini and saute another 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, cinnamon and paprika and allow spices to toast, stirring into veggies for 1 minute.
- Add in tomatoes, garbanzo beans, black beans and water and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with cilantro and red pepper flakes (optional)
Net Carbs: When a food item has 5 or more grams of fiber per serving, you can subtract the fiber from the total carbohydrate. Therefore, this chili has approximately 25.1 grams net carb.
- calories: 201
- calories from fat: 22
- cholesterol: 0mg
- dietary fiber: 9.8g
- potassium: 503mg
- protein: 11.0g
- sodium: 492mg
- sugars: 8.9g
- total carbohydrates: 34.9g
- total fat: 2.5g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you know someone living with kidney cancer?