Turkey Taco Lettuce Cups
Packed with flavor and protein but still light, these taco lettuce cups are a great option for dinner tonight.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup yellow or red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon Chipotle in Adobo Puree* (see note)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 (14oz) can Low Sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 6 large romaine lettuce leaves
- In a large pan over medium heat add oil and onion. Saute 4 minutes.
- Add in garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add in meat. Break up and cook until no longer pink.
- Add in Chipotle in Adobo puree, cumin, chili powder and salt, allow spices to toast for 1 minutes while stirring.
- Add in water, stir, mix in beans and let simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Wash lettuce leaves under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Serve a scoop of taco meat in each lettuce leaf, top with diced bell pepper, red onion, cilantro and a sprinkle of cheese.
- *Note: Find a 7oz can of Chipotles in Adobo sauce in the International aisle of the grocery store. Using a hand held stick blender or a blender or a mini food processor, puree all the chilies and the liquid in the can into a thick pureed sauce. For this recipe you will use 1 tablespoon of the puree, the remaining puree can be frozen in a plastic resealable bag. Pour puree into the bottom of the bag, label and date the bag. Simply break off a piece of frozen puree for your next recipe.
- calories: 182
- calories from fat: 79
- cholesterol: 61mg
- dietary fiber: 2.9g
- potassium: 363mg
- protein: 17.8g
- saturated fat: 3.2g
- sodium: 241mg
- sugars: 0.6g
- total carbohydrates: 5.2g
- total fat: 9.8g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you live with any sleep disorders (eg. insomnia, sleep apnea, RLS) in addition to your diabetes?