Who doesn’t love leftover turkey!! However sometimes we have too many leftovers that we want to eat before they go bad. This is one of my favorite ways to use them up. Now I know what you’re thinking: yes it’s high caloric and high in fat but, it’s your dinner time meal and it’s only to use up the leftovers. You won’t eat this ‘high in fat’ meal everyday. Remember, occasionally its ok. Give it a try!
- 2 deep dish frozen pie shells (350 g)
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ medium red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup 1% milk
- 3 cups leftover cooked turkey, cut into chunks
- 1 ½ cups mixed frozen vegetables, partially thawed
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Thaw pie shell on counter while preparing the other ingredients.
- Heat butter in large fry pan. Cook onion until tender.
- Add flour and seasonings. Mix them as best you can until smooth. It will become pasty.
- Stir in chicken broth and milk, reserving a small amount of milk for the pie crust. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened, smooth and slightly boiling.
- Turn off heat. Add turkey and vegetables. Mix carefully to coat the turkey and vegetables with the sauce.
- Cool for a few minutes. Spoon turkey mixture into one of the pie shells.
- Cover with second pie shell sealing around the edges with your fingers. Cut an air hole in the top of the pie shell. Brush reserved milk over the pie crust.
- Bake at 425F for 10 min. Turn oven down to 350F for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh green salad.
- calories: 626g
- carbohydrates: 46g
- cholesterol: 113mg
- fat: 29.5g
- fiber: 4.2g
- potassium: 577mg
- protein: 42.4g
- saturated fat: 11g
- sodium: 555mg
- sugars: 2g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you like to eat grilled cheese sandwiches?