Turkey Lettuce Wraps with Fresh Pineapple Salsa
These turkey lettuce wraps are light and fresh with a hint of sweetness and packed with protein.
- 1 1/4 lb ground turkey
- 1 head of Boston or Butter lettuce (or similar)
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- For the salsa:
- 1/2 avocado, diced into 1/2" pieces
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 3/4 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- 2 Tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 of a Serrano chili pepper, very finely diced, remove seeds (optional for more heat)
Makes 6 servings
- Carefully separate lettuce leaves, rinse and pat dry with a paper towel or clean dish cloth and set aside.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, saute ground turkey, breaking it up with a spoon until it's cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add ground cumin, ground coriander seeds, Italian seasoning, salt and 1/4 cup water and stir to combine.
- Cover and remove from the heat.
- To make the salsa, in a bowl combine diced avocado, tomato, pineapple, onion cilantro, salt and Serrano pepper (optional) an stir to combine.
- To assemble each wrap, take a lettuce leaf and fill it with about 1/3 cup of the turkey mixture and top it with about 2 tablespoons of fresh salsa.
Tip: Unused portion of avocado can be stored with pit in a air tight container in fridge.
Yields 12 lettuce tacos. Serving size is 2 tacos.
- calories: 239
- calories from fat: 124
- cholesterol: 97mg
- dietary fiber: 2.1g
- potassium: 488mg
- protein: 26.9g
- saturated fat: 2.4g
- sodium: 315mg
- sugars: 3.1g
- total carbohydrates: 6.1g
- total fat: 13.8g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Has diabetes changed your exercise routine?