Turkey Lettuce Wrap Sandwich
The perfect light lunch or easy snack, packed with protein and crunch. Prepare the onions ahead of time to add an extra layer of delicious flavor. If this isn't enough to fill you up, double the recipe for a more hearty meal. The nutrition information is for 1 wrap to make calculations easy if you prefer a larger serving.
Interested in more wrap recipe? Check out this article for more wrap ideas and recipes!
- 2 large lettuce leaves, stems removed (Bibb, Green Leaf or Romaine lettuce work best)
- 3 oz thick-sliced No Added Salt, Deli Turkey (ask your deli clerk for thick slices)
- 1 tsp Chinese Hot Mustard (or regular mustard if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons *marinated red onion (see directions below)
- 1/8th avocado, sliced
Directions Turkey Lettuce Wrap:
- Lay lettuce leaves flat and slightly overlapping.
- Layer sliced turkey, mustard, onions and avocado.
- Fold or gently roll lettuce into a taco or wrap and enjoy!
Marinated vegetables have been around for ages, but store-bought versions may have added sugar and salt that isn't necessary. Try making them at home for an easy way to bump up the flavor in any dish. *They do need to be prepared in advance to allow them time to marinate. Get some going the night before and you'll be set to enjoy them the next day. They go great on eggs in the morning, in wraps and sandwiches and alongside protein such as grilled chicken. The remaining marinade can also be used as a dressing for salads.
- 1/2 red onion, 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, ~1/2 cup avocado oil
- Thinly slice red onion and place in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning and red wine vinegar.
- Pour avocado oil or olive oil over onions until they are just covered. Let sit at room temperature for 2 hours or overnight. Store at room temperature and eat within 2 days.
- calories: 190
- carbohydrates: 7g
- fat: 9g
- potassium: 350mg
- protein: 19.5g
- saturated fat: 1.3g
- sodium: 82mg
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Has diabetes changed your exercise routine?