Turkey Eggplant Polenta
A deliciously healthy comfort food dinner filled with savory flavors and aromatic spices, just in time for cooler weather.
- 1.25 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1.5 cups polenta (cornmeal)
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, julienne
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add ground turkey and cook 3-4 minutes breaking up with a spoon.
- Add eggplant, onion, tomatoes, 1/2 tsp salt and spices to turkey and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes until veggies are tender and turkey is cooked through and no longer pink. Remove from heat.
- While turkey and veggies are cooking, bring 5 cups of water to a boil.
- Slowly add polenta to boiling water, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Add in 1/2 tsp salt, reduce heat to medium. Stirring often, continue cooking polenta over medium heat for about 20 minutes until it is thick and creamy.
- Spread turkey and veggie mixture into a 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish and pour polenta over the top. Bake at 350'F for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and polenta is firmed up and golden.
- Serve with a garnish of fresh basil.
Interested in more healthy recipes featuring turkey? Check out the recipe for Turkey Eggplant Stir-Fry
- calories: 326
- calories from fat: 76
- cholesterol: 68mg
- dietary fiber: 4.7g
- potassium: 651mg
- protein: 22.5g
- saturated fat: 2.3g
- sodium: 587mg
- sugars: 5.2g
- total carbohydrates: 39.7g
- total fat: 8.5g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
How long have you been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes?