Turkey Butternut Squash Chili
A little sweet and a little spicy, this hearty and nutritious chili is full of smokey flavor. Lean ground turkey adds great protein and helps keep you feeling full longer.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium Butternut Squash, peeled, de-seeded, cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1 can (15oz) Diced Tomatoes, No Added Salt
- 1 can (15oz) Black Beans, No Added Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Pureed Chipotle in adobo sauce *see note
- 5 cups water
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped for garnish
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add in oil, onion, garlic and bell pepper, saute for 3-5 minutes until fragrant.
- Spread veggies to outside edges of the pot and add ground turkey to the middle. Cook turkey, breaking it up with a spoon, until brown and no longer pink.
- Add in chili powder, cumin, cinnamon and salt and allow spices to toast slightly for about 1 minute, stirring.
- Add in Squash, Tomatoes, beans, Chipotle Puree and water. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a gentle boil then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Simmer, covered, for about 45 minutes, then continue simmering uncovered for 15-20 minutes more to allow chili to thicken.
- Serve hot with a garnish of chopped cilantro.
Note: Find a 7oz can of Chipotles in Adobo sauce in the International aisle of the grocery store. Using a hand held stick blender or a blender or a mini food processor, puree all the chilies and liquid in the can into a thick pureed sauce. For this recipe you will use 1-2 tablespoons of the puree (based on desired level of heat), the remaining puree can be frozen in a plastic resealable bag. Pour puree into the bottom of the bag, label and date the bag. Simply break off a piece of frozen puree for your next recipe.
- calories: 233
- calories from fat: 79
- cholesterol: 57mg
- dietary fiber: 6.9g
- potassium: 715mg
- protein: 20.3g
- saturated fat: 2.1g
- sodium: 439mg
- sugars: 2.8g
- total carbohydrates: 19.8g
- total fat: 8.8g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you live with any sleep disorders (eg. insomnia, sleep apnea, RLS) in addition to your diabetes?