Taco Stuffed Zucchini
Love all the flavor of tacos but looking for a lower carb option? Zucchini has a delicious mild flavor and pairs so well with this zesty filling. These can be assembled a day ahead and kept in the refrigerator before your next party or gathering; making these perfect for any occasion.
Interested in more low carb alternatives? Check out 10 Diabetes-Friendly Classic American Foods!
- 1.5 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 small to medium zucchini
- 1.5 Tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced, for garnish
- 1/2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- Prepare zucchini by trimming ends and slicing in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, carefully scoop out insides of zucchini halves (reserve inside pieces), leaving some of the zucchini flesh intact at each end and about 1/4 inch thick on the sides. Set aside.
- Chop the zucchini pieces that you scooped out.
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, add ground turkey. Cook, stirring frequently and breaking meat up with a wooden spoon, until meat is nearly cooked through. Add diced bell pepper and chopped zucchini and continue to sauté for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add in taco seasoning and water, stir to combine and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Using a tablespoon, fill the zucchini with heaping scoops of the seasoned meat mixture.
- Spray a 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray and place stuffed zucchini into the baking dish. Bake at 350'F for 40-50 minutes until zucchini is cooked through.
- Top with shredded cheese during the last 5 minutes of cooking and serve hot. Top with cilantro and red onion.
Serves 6 (2 halves each)
- calories: 225
- calories from fat: 83
- cholesterol: 83mg
- dietary fiber: 2.8g
- potassium: 953mg
- protein: 27.3g
- saturated fat: 3.0g
- sodium: 266mg
- sugars: 4.7g
- total carbohydrates: 9.9g
- total fat: 9.2g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
How long have you been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes?