Sweet Potato Chili
Thick and hearty with great flavor and a touch of sweetness, this twist on regular chili will become a new favorite. It's high in protein to leave you feeling fuller longer and bean-free, which is a perk for those who don't handle beans very well.
Interested in learning more about the health benefits of protein? Check out this article!
- 1 1/2 lbs. Grass Fed, Lean Ground Beef
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, finely diced
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder (optional)
- 3 cups water
- cilantro for garnish
- In a saute pan over medium-high heat, cook the meat, breaking it up until browned and no longer pink.
- While meat is cooking, add cubed sweet potatoes, diced onion, chopped mushrooms and diced tomatoes to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle your herbs and seasonings over the vegetables.
- Once meat is browned, remove from the heat and add it to your slow cooker.
- Pour water over everything and gently stir to combine.
- Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Serve hot and garnish with fresh cilantro.
- calories: 226
- calories from fat: 44
- cholesterol: 53mg
- dietary fiber: 4.6g
- potassium: 907mg
- protein: 20.6g
- saturated fat: 2.3g
- sodium: 553mg
- sugars: 2.9g
- total carbohydrates: 26.1g
- total fat: 4.9g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you know someone living with kidney cancer?