Sweet Potato Chicken Stew
Fresh sweetness and just a touch of heat, this is a hearty meal bursting with flavor.
Interested in learning more about the nutritional elements of starchy vegetables? Check out this article!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 oz Baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breast, cubed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 14 oz can diced no salt added tomatoes with their juices
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add oil, onion, bell pepper and mushrooms. Saute until vegetables are tender and fragrant.
- Add in minced garlic, saute another 2-3 minutes.
- Add Italian Seasoning and salt, stir to combine and allow seasonings to toast slightly for about 1 minute.
- Pour in water, add cubed chicken, cubed sweet potatoes, tomatoes with their juices, pepper flakes (if using) and bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer for 40-50 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Remove bay leaves. Serve hot garnished with fresh chopped cilantro.
Note: This recipe calls for 1.5 pounds of uncooked chicken, to save time you can substitute already cooked chicken from leftovers or a rotisserie chicken, simply wait and add pre-cooked chicken in at the end of the cooking.
- calories: 231
- calories from fat: 33
- cholesterol: 74mg
- dietary fiber: 3.1g
- potassium: 609mg
- protein: 26.8g
- sodium: 464mg
- sugars: 3.1g
- total carbohydrates: 19.0g
- total fat: 3.7g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Have you experienced any foot complications from diabetes?